It is a municipality of the Department of Choluteca.
According to the statistical yearbook of 1889, it is believed to have been founded in 1852 by General José Trinidad Cabañas in a place called Las Pintadas. It was named after the beautiful stones with engravings in the shape of crosses, human figures, and some hieroglyphics that no one has deciphered. Over time, it was moved to its current location, and it was given the category of municipality in 1889 during the administration of Luis Bográn.
General Information about Concepción de María
Origin of its name: In honor of its patron saint, the Virgin of the Conception.
- Territorial area: 156.80 km2
- Population: 26,981 inhabitants (2012)
- Date of creation: 1889
- Patron saint festival: December 8, day of the Immaculate Conception.
- Villages and hamlets: 32 villages and 107 hamlets.
- Altitude: 300 meters above sea level.
Main economic activity
Cultivation of sugarcane, cashew, staple grains, citrus fruits; raising of cattle, horses, and sheep; poultry and rabbit farming; industries: pottery, mezcal products, carpentry, blacksmithing.
- Health: 10 health centers, 1 maternity hospital, and 1 medical specialty center.
- Education: 29 pre-basic education centers, 2 basic education centers, 5 face-to-face secondary education centers, 69 primary education centers, 39 kindergartens.
Located in the southeastern part of the department; its headquarters is in a small plain on the banks of the Tiscagua River.
- North: Municipality of San Marcos de Colón;
- South: Municipality of El Triunfo;
- East: Republic of Nicaragua;
- West: Municipality of El Corpus.