It is a municipality of the Department of Choluteca, in the Republic of Honduras.
It was one of the first settlements founded and populated by the Spanish in Honduras in 1646. Its residents organized themselves into a municipality with the name San Andrés de Orocuina. According to the statistical yearbook of 1889, it is only mentioned by the name Orocuina.
General Information about Orocuina
Origin of its name: Oloquire, which means “river of the olotes.”
- Territorial area: 124.60 km2
- Population: 17,648 inhabitants (2012)
- Date of creation: 1646
- Patron saint festival: November 30, day of St. Andrew.
- Villages and hamlets: 8 villages and 116 hamlets.
- Altitude: 100 meters above sea level.
Main economic activity
Cultivation of sugarcane, sweet peppers, mangoes, bananas, oranges, coffee, avocados, rice, and lemons; raising of cattle, pigs, horses, and goats; poultry farming.
Climate: Rainy with a very dry winter.
- Health: 6 health centers and 1 maternity hospital.
- Education: 19 community centers for pre-basic education, 2 basic education centers, 2 face-to-face secondary education centers, 48 primary education centers, and 16 kindergartens.
It is located in the northeast of the municipality of Choluteca, with its headquarters situated on the banks of the Orocuina River.
- North: Municipalities of Soledad and Liure (both in El Paraíso)
- South: Municipality of Choluteca;
- East: Municipality of Apacilagua;
- West: Municipality of Pespire.