It is a municipality of the Department of Choluteca, in the Republic of Honduras.
By 1640, it was a town of indigenous people. In the first political division of the state of Honduras in 1824, it appears as a parish of the Department of Choluteca. In the 1889 census conducted by the priest Ramón Vallejo, Pespire is listed as a municipality, a category assigned to it in 1794.
General Information about Pespire
Origin of its name: In Mesoamerican language, it means “river of the small pyrites.”
- Territorial area: 337.70 km2
- Population: 25,833 inhabitants (2012)
- Date of creation: 1794
- Patron saint festival: January 13-21, day of St. Francis of Assisi.
- Villages and hamlets: 9 villages and 178 hamlets.
- Altitude: 100 meters above sea level.
Main Economic Activity
Cultivation of mangoes, plantains, coconuts, potatoes, tomatoes, and basic grains; raising of cattle, pigs, and horses; poultry farming and rabbit breeding.
- Health: 9 health centers, 1 maternity hospital, and 1 specialized medical center.
- Education: 7 community centers for pre-basic education, 5 basic education centers, 3 face-to-face secondary education centers, 67 primary education centers, and 41 kindergartens.
- Communication: Telephone, mail, paved road network.
It is located north of the municipality of Choluteca, to the east of the Pespire River.
- North: Municipalities of San Isidro, San Antonio de Flores, and San José;
- South: Municipality of Choluteca;
- East: Municipalities of Orocuina and Soledad (El Paraíso);
- West: Municipality of Nacaome (Valle).