It is a municipality in the department of Francisco Morazán, in the Republic of Honduras.
The first human settlements in the area date back to the pre-Hispanic period, as evidenced by the rock art in the locality of Ayasta.
Its foundation date is recorded since 1657 when it was a village of Santa Ana. In the 1889 political territorial division, it is already listed as a municipality belonging to the district of Sabanagrande.
General Information about San Buenaventura
Origin of its name: In honor of its patron saint, San Buenaventura.
- Territorial area: 64.94 km2
- Population: 2,076 inhabitants (2012)
- Date of creation: 1889
- Patron Saint Celebration: July 11th, in honor of San Buenaventura.
- Villages and hamlets: 4 villages and 52 hamlets.
- Elevation: 1300 meters above sea level.
Main Economic Activity
Cultivation of staple crops, sugarcane, coffee, and vegetables; raising of cattle, horses, and pigs; poultry farming.
- Health: 4 CESAR (Health Centers).
- Education: 14 basic education centers, 8 pre-basic education centers, and 1 secondary education center.
- Communication network: Paved roads, telecommunication service provided by Hondutel, mobile phone coverage.
It is surrounded by mountains and hills, located southeast of the Huía Hill.
- North: municipality of the Central District;
- South: municipality of Nueva Armenia;
- East: municipalities of Maraita and Santa Ana;
- West: municipalities of Santa Ana and Sabanagrande.