It is a municipality of the Department of Choluteca, in the Republic of Honduras.
Founded in 1861, it was originally a village of Alubarén and was part of the district of Reitoca until 1880, during the second administration of Marco Aurelio Soto. It then became part of the district of Pespire as a municipality under the name of San José del Portillo, and later changed its name to San José de Choluteca.
General Information about San José de Choluteca
Origin of its name: It was named after its patron saint, San José (Saint Joseph).
- Territorial area: 62.30 km2
- Population: 3,818 inhabitants (2012)
- Date of creation: 1880
- Patron saint festival: March 19, Feast of San José (Saint Joseph).
- Villages and hamlets: 5 villages and 37 hamlets.
- Altitude: 500 meters above sea level.
Main Economic Activity
Cultivation of sugarcane, corn, sorghum, sweet peppers, coffee, rice, pineapple, potato, yucca, and sweet potato; raising of cattle, pigs, horses; poultry farming and goat farming.
- Health: 2 health centers.
- Communication: Telephone, telegraph, mail, and passable roads.
It is located in the northwestern extremity of the Department of Choluteca, with its center located at the municipal border with Pespire.
- North: Municipalities of Alubarén and Reitoca (both in Francisco Morazán);
- South: Municipality of Pespire;
- East: Municipality of La Venta (Francisco Morazán);
- West: Municipalities of San Miguelito and La Libertad (both in Francisco Morazán).