Skip to main content

Municipality of Talgua

Talgua is a municipality in the Department of Lempira in Honduras.

Founded during the colonial era, where the village of Mercedes was located, Talgua is considered one of the oldest municipalities in Honduras. It was originally inhabited by Amerindian tribes until it was colonized by the Spanish conquistador Pedro de Alvarado and his captains.

On January 2, 1963, during the administration of President Dr. Ramón Villeda Morales, the capital of Talgua was relocated from Talgua to San Antonio de Pedernales. A resolution was issued to transfer the capital of Talgua from El Pedernal to the department of Lempira.

As a historical relic, the acclaimed Catholic Church, built during the colonial era, is still preserved.

Geography

Talgua is situated on a hill, which is located next to a river, and is surrounded by mountain systems, although some mountains belong to the Copán systems. Its hot climate is mainly due to its elevation above sea level. The vegetation is mostly characteristic of a tropical dry forest, although there are some pine forests on the highest hills.

Boundaries

Talgua borders the departments of Copán to the north and west, and the municipality of Las Flores to the south and east. Its land area is 82 km².

Resources

Subsistence activities in Talgua primarily focus on maize production, cattle raising, and grocery trade, which represents its second most important commercial activity.
Being close to the river, construction materials such as sand and gravel are obtained. It also has electricity and mobile communication services. Water is obtained from drilled wells and a nearby river.

Population

The mestizo population of Talgua accounts for 80% of the population, while the remaining 20% consists of native tribes who have survived. These indigenous people mainly inhabit the surrounding hills and mountains.
In 2001, this municipality had 8,399 inhabitants, and according to estimates by the National Institute of Statistics (INE), the population would have increased to 9,768 inhabitants by 2008. There are approximately 14 hamlets and 50 hamlets within the municipality.

Tourism

Talgua is mainly accessed from Santa Rosa de Copán, located 9 km from the city, heading towards the department of Ocotepeque.
This village is recognized for currently preserving settlements of Lenca indigenous people. In the nearby mountains, you can see their crops and huts. Ancient pottery from their ancestors, the Lenca people, has also been found.

The village church dates back to the colonial era and is another attraction to visit, although it has not been properly preserved.

Several areas have been prepared by the river for tourists to swim. And there is a view of the Celaque mountain from an angle that showcases its immensity. The Patron Saint Festival is held on August 24th of each year, the day of San Bartolomé, its patron saint.